Supervisors of Low Incidence Programs (SLIP) (CoP) / December 2016
Type: Open Committee
Focus Areas: Program Evaluation, Skilled Staff, Specially Designed Instruction (SDI)
Upcoming dates or events to share with general membership
- Behavior & SLIP Winter Conference – January 19-20, 2017 at the Crowne Plaza, Lansing. Registration is open on the MAASE website under “Upcoming Events.” Hotel reservations at the MAASE rate need to be reserved before heading out on the Holiday Break.
- Next SLIP Meeting – February 7, 2017 @ 12:00 (Packard Room)
- March Site Visit – TBA soon!
1. SLIP Winter Conference – January 19-20, 2017 @ The Crowne Plaza, Lansing.
a. Registration is open and the program outlining the presenters for each day is posted on the MAASE Website. You can register for Thursday only, Friday only, or both days. Please share with your staff and encourage them to register before they go on break.
b. Hotel – Discounted MAASE room rates are available until the Holiday Break. Cost is $119 per night.
2. 1% Exceptions – Discussion on Additional Information Needed for BLC. This information did result in a color designation change for their building. Window is over. Tina will send out approval lists when the time comes for applications to be completed again for the next school year.
3. Annual Report – Memo recently sent out with new requirements to districts. (Link below). Discussion held over districts receiving OCR complaints related to website information that was not meeting ADA requirements. Issue relates to PDF format. Keep information posted until you are able to phase in corrected forms. AER’s are due by January 27th.
4. ACT – Suggestion – Do not register your school for ACT if you do not have ANY students taking the ACT. This should prevent you from getting materials and any further calls. This was an issue last year for districts that respond to emails from ACT. Tina communicated with Robin Wright from MDE and got her building designated as “Not Participating.” Her email is WrightR12@michigan.gov
a. Bills on Seclusion/Restraint are still being pushed forward during Lame Duck behind the scenes.
b. Discussion on Special Olympics and impact on district with OCR complaint in the past. Noted that Jeff Butler was recently assigned to the Special Olympics Board.
c. Discussion on ISD Plans versus staffing/student needs.
d. Floater Para written into one ISD plan was discussed as well.
e. Work group in the future for SLIP was discussed on the development of documentation/protocols related to Seclusion/Restraint guidelines, should this bill pass.