Supervisors of Low Incidence Programs (SLIP) (CoP) /
Type: Open Committee
Focus Areas: Program Evaluation, Skilled Staff, Specially Designed Instruction (SDI)
Upcoming dates or events to share with general membership
1. March Site Visit – Host: Beth Bond, Mecosta-Osceola Center School, 15700 190 Avenue, Big Rapids, MI 49307; (231) 796-2624. Agenda items will be sought by the group and RSVP’s will be requested to ensure enough participants to maintain this scheduled day. An email will be out shortly with this information.
2. MAASE Silent Auction – Thank you to Susan Reynolds, Rachel Burma, Jesse Gilding, and Marc Willis for their contributions to the SLIP basket auctioned on Tuesday. Money raised will be used for CEC student scholarships. Our basket brought in $80.00.
3. Reminder – Education Yes!/Interim Assessment is due March 17th!
4. Next SLIP Meeting – April 11, 2017 @ 12-1 (Room TBD)
1. SLIP Winter Conference – Attendance Day 1 – 100; Day 2 – 67; The attendance, survey information, and cost effectiveness of this event will allow us to continue this event next year. Survey responses for Day 1 – 98% rated 4/5 out of 5-point scale; Day 2 – 97% rated 4/5 out of 5-point scale. Summary survey information was sent out on 2/5 to the SLIP membership.
2. Seclusion & Restraint Bills – Hard copy provided to those who do not have them. Power point is available on the MAASE Wiki that gives an overview of each bill provided by Eric Hoppstock during our lunch on Day 1 of the Behavior/SLIP Winter Conference.
Discussed possible work group to provide input on MDE policy development before 2/21. Tina will clarify and send out an email to input should this be planned and if enough time.
MDE Policies – State is looking at 2006 standards to align new bill requirements and ensure details are updated to reflect this information. Updated document as of 1/27/17 and available online:
3. Round Table
a. Discussed sub issues for various centers & options taken – floater teacher or para, coverage by retired staff wanting to come back, and looking at absences and assisting from within. One district discussed incorporating incentives for subs, including recouping finger-printing costs and bonus after a specific number of days.
b. Discussed transportation and meeting needs of students with medical needs such as suctioning, diastat, etc. One district is contracting with an agency that will not respond nor participate in training and this is left to the district. Blossomland discussed RM that oversees transportation training, documentation, monitoring, monthly meetings, on call support, and coverage.
c. Bill currently out there proposing 60 credit hours rather than 90 for subs.
d. Year-round school was discussed and what Bloomfield is doing via Thomai Gersh.
e. CPR/AED Requirements for all graduates? Key discussion related to achieving a diploma, which would excuse our students who are getting Certifications of Attendance. Bill link below:
f. Discussed reporting of staff for snows days at different districts.
g. Student Growth Measures – This is a repeated topic for the group. Below you will find a link to Wayne RESA’s document that was discussed as a guiding tool. Also, 5D has criteria related to this as well.
Facter information was discussed for SCI/SXI, these are booklets. Link follows:
h. Discussed some of parent, student and staff surveys. Some are not doing surveys with students. Blossomland is using a student survey with the MoCI population and will be attached to the minutes when sent out to SLIP. Some are using parent & student surveys in The Assist. Explore the eProve survey options in The Assist. It is on the home page at the bottom. This is supposed to allow districts to create a surveey from a bank. Link included for eProve:
Link to the power point presentation at January SLIP Conference is included. Look under “New Options for School Improvement.”