Supervisors of Low Incidence Programs (SLIP) (CoP) / October 2018
Type: Board Appointed
Focus Areas: Program Evaluation, Skilled Staff, Specially Designed Instruction (SDI)
Upcoming dates or events to share with general membership
1. Site Visit – Nov. 5, 2018 (10-2) – WoodsEdge Learning Center, 1501 E. Milham Rd., Portage, MI, (269) 250-9400. Email to be out soon for agenda items and RSVP’s due by 10/31.
2. SLIP Winter Conference – January 17-18, 2019 – Crowne Plaza, Lansing. Call for Presenters due by 10/19. Please share with staff and encourage them to present.
3. Next SLIP Meeting – December 4, 2018 (12-1) – Crowne Plaza, Lansing.
*15 members in attendance.
1. SLIP Winter Conference – Presenters needed! Please encourage staff to submit an application to present. Discussed potential presenters to contact for Day 1 with Supervisors and Day 2 for all center staff.
Areas needed: Emergent Literacy, Mathematics, repeat CEC mini-sessions from Wayne, Core Vocabulary, Lesson Planning w/Planbook, legislative updates (DNR, CB oil, transition, etc.), trauma for nonverbal, 5 characteristics of leadership, IRIP’s, and Scripting were all discussed. Open for great topics related to working in center-based programs.
2. Work-group discussion – 3rd Grade Reading Law/IRIP’s and Student Growth models for our populations.
a. SWIS – Suggestions on others. Discussion on Powerschool and SWIS communication capabilities and it can be “shut off”. Google forms also an option and it does do a notification.
b. Sex Ed Curriculum – Elevatus was discussed as an option as a curriculum tool for students with disabilities ($250). Link: https://www.elevatustraining.com
Forwarded email information to SLIP. Michigan Model is still a resource for some. START has compiled recommendations that is applicable to all disabilities. FLASH curriculum is one that is used as well. Berrien RESA has shared their Resource Guide which outlines what we have compiled through the process.
c. Restraint/Seclusion – Numbers will be shared from the State that were electronically submitted through MSDS. These will be out soon.
d. Transition – Discussion on center’s doing EDP’s and the overlap in IEP Transition Plans covering much of the information. ESTR is still being used by some. Some use Brigance or in conjunction with the ESTR. ULS online is available and also being used by some. Consent form discussion and now their is guidance out for NTACT.